A beautiful smile doesn’t just look good. According to scientists, smiling lifts the mood, reduces stress, boosts the immune system and may even help you live longer too
Wow! that’s pretty powerful stuff. But what if you’re too embarrassed to smile because of the colour of your teeth? The good news is that it is possible to get your teeth white again.
Do you want to know how to make your teeth white? Stay on the page, and we’ll go over some things you can do to get whiter teeth.
What causes tooth discolouration?
Before diving into teeth whitening solutions, we need to understand why teeth change colour. Several things can cause the teeth to discolour, including drinks such as coffee or tea that stain your teeth. You can help overcome this by drinking a glass of water immediately afterwards. Other things such as enamel erosion, certain medications, and ageing also cause teeth to discolour.
How to make your teeth white?
There are several ways you can get whiter teeth. Here are our top 5 tips.
- Regular dental cleans – Plaque can give your teeth a yellowish tinge. Fortunately, a professional dental clean can remove hardened plaque deposits (tartar) and remove surface stains leaving your mouth and teeth feeling fresh and clean. Try to schedule a dental clean at least every six months for long-lasting results and whiter teeth.
- Quit smoking – Not only is smoking harmful for your dental and medical health, but it can lead to yellow teeth. While you can purchase over the counter teeth whitening products to improve the appearance of your teeth, your body will thank you for giving up cigarettes.
- Practice good dental hygiene – Good dental hygiene will improve the appearance of your smile and gums, giving you something to smile about. It’s essential to get into a good daily oral hygiene routine which includes brushing your teeth for two minutes twice a day and flossing once a day, preferably just before going to bed. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and teeth whitening toothpaste to brighten your smile.
- Be careful with foods and drinks that stain – There’s a saying that anything that stains a white shirt will stain your teeth, so bear that in mind. If you can’t cut out that morning cup of coffee or glass of red wine with friends, then consider drinking them through a straw to prevent the liquids from passing over your teeth, and your teeth will stay whiter.
- Eat natural teeth-whitening foods – Did you know there are some foods that can work to whiten your teeth? While strawberries may stain your shirt they act as a natural teeth whitening agent since they contain malic acid. Mash up a handful and rub them over your teeth. Rinse them off after five minutes and brush and floss your teeth as usual. Crunchy fruit and veg also help with teeth whitening by increasing saliva production which acts as a natural mouthwash.
Of course, if you want fast results, you might want to consider professional teeth whitening.
How to make your teeth white with professional teeth whitening?
Getting whiter teeth couldn’t be easier with professional teeth whitening from My Local Dentists. We use Philps Zoom whitening that produces incredible results in an hour. Patients will need to attend an initial consultation to ensure teeth whitening is a suitable treatment for them.
Typically the mouth and gums need to be healthy before going ahead with treatment. Teeth whitening isn’t for everyone, however.
Teeth with deep internal staining may not respond well and a better alternative could be dental veneers. Our dentists will examine your mouth and teeth and suggest your best options.
Keeping your teeth white
There you have it. Five handy tips on how to get whiter teeth. If your smile needs a spot of TLC why not schedule a consultation with the friendly, experienced team at My Local Dentists. We have five locations for patients to choose from.
NBC News – Smiling can trick your brain into happiness — and boost your health
Colgate – Ten Causes Of Yellow Teeth And How To Avoid Them
Healthline – Smoking’s Effect On Tooth
AARP – Foods That Whiten Teeth Naturally