Invisalign is a revolutionary orthodontic treatment option offering an efficient and discreet way to straighten teeth. With Invisalign, you can achieve the perfect smile without dealing with the hassle of traditional braces.
At our dental office, patients often ask questions about wearing Invisalign aligners. Here are our top tips for patients considering or currently using Invisalign.
Have you heard of Invisalign?
Invisalign is a remarkable orthodontic solution that utilises clear, custom-made aligners to strategically and carefully move your teeth into the perfect position. The aligners are made from a comfortable, lightweight plastic material that fits over your teeth like a glove. They are virtually invisible when worn, making them perfect for people who want straighter teeth without drawing attention to the treatment.
Types of Invisalign
Invisalign has several different types of aligners available for various orthodontic treatments, such as Invisalign Express, Invisalign Full and Invisalign Teen. Your dentist can guide you to decide which type best suits your needs.
Also, there is Invisalign Go and Invisalign Full. The main difference is that Invisalign Go only uses 6-8 sets of aligners, suiting minor imperfections and simple cases, while Invisalign Full can use up to 30 sets, suiting more complex malocclusions.
What is the timeframe for Invisalign treatment?
It typically takes 9–18 months, depending on individual circumstances. Your dental provider can precisely estimate how long your treatment will require depending on the particularities of your case.
Who needs Invisalign aligners treatment?
Invisalign aligners are a modern technology that makes wearing Invisalign much more accessible, comfortable and hygienic than traditional braces. Invisalign can be used for many individuals, including adults and teens needing minor to medium alignment correction.
In addition to those needing an aesthetic enhancement, Invisalign is also recommended for people with TMJ or who have misaligned bites and require treatment. In all cases, Invisalign has been proven effective in providing the targeted orthodontic results patients desire.
Who qualifies for the Invisalign aligners treatment?
- Teens and adults with healthy teeth and gums.
- Patients with crooked, crowded or widely spaced teeth.
- Individuals who have difficulty brushing and flossing due to misalignment of their teeth.
- Those unsuitable for metal braces due to lifestyle, preference or medical conditions.
- Patients who previously had other braces but need minor touch-ups for their smile.
- For people with a history of grinding their teeth, Invisalign can help correct minor to medium malocclusions caused by bruxism.
When is Invisalign not the best treatment option?
- Patients with severe misalignment that requires complex orthodontic treatment.
- Patients with excessively decayed or damaged teeth.
- Young children whose jaws are still growing and developing.
- Adults who have developed gum disease or periodontal problems.
- Patients with certain health conditions may limit their ability to wear the aligners properly.
To ensure Invisalign is the best fit for you, speaking with your dentist is important. They can help determine if Invisalign is right for you and guide you on maintaining healthy teeth.
Advantages of wearing aligners compared to traditional metal braces
- Aligners are nearly invisible, whereas metal braces are conspicuous and very noticeable in the mouth.
- Aligners are removable for eating, brushing and flossing, whereas traditional braces cannot be removed until after the treatment.
- Aligners exert gentle pressure on teeth rather than constant tension and do not irritate the gums.
- Invisible braces are made of smooth plastic material that does not cause discomfort or abrasion on the lips.
- Aligners require fewer office visits for adjustments than traditional metal braces, making it more convenient for patients.
- Invisalign is much more affordable compared to traditional braces.
Invisalign Tips and Tricks
Tip #1: Wear Your Aligners as Much as Possible
Invisalign demands that you wear your aligners for a minimum of 20-22 hours on a daily basis, making sure to keep up with the process in order to achieve maximum results -the more you wear them, the faster you’ll get to a perfect smile!
The aligners move your teeth into their desired position gradually. So it’s important to be diligent about wearing them —but not so diligent that you wear them too much! Wearing your aligners for more than 22 hours a day can put too much pressure on your teeth and cause discomfort.
Tip #2: Keep Your Aligners Clean
It’s important to keep your aligners clean not just for the sake of your oral health but also for the sake of your comfort. If your aligners are covered in plaque or food debris, they can irritate your gums and cause discomfort.
How to keep your aligners clean?
- Brush them with a soft-bristled toothbrush and mild soap.
- Avoid toothpaste, as it can be abrasive and damage the aligners.
- You should also rinse them thoroughly after brushing to remove any soap residue.
- Once they’re clean, put them back in their case, so they don’t collect germs from surfaces like countertops or doorknobs.
- Change to new aligner trays every two weeks under the instructions from your dentist.
Tip #3: Be Careful with Chewy Foods
Try to remove your aligners when eating or drinking anything other than water, or if you are eating out, remember to clean them afterwards. Also, eating chewy foods like caramels or taffy can damage or warp your aligners, so it’s best to avoid them altogether while wearing them.
If you eat something chewy, remove your aligners immediately afterwards and brush both your teeth and aligners thoroughly before putting the aligners back in place.
Tip #4: Put aligners in storage for long-term quality when not in use
Store your aligners in a safe and clean environment when you’re not wearing them. That will help keep your aligners in good shape, so they continue to fit snugly over your teeth while you wear them.
Ideally, keeping your aligners in the case provided by your dentist when you get them would be best. This case should be airtight and moisture-proof to protect the aligners from germs, dust, and other environmental elements that could damage them.
Storing your aligners out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources like radiators or heat vents would be best. That will keep them from becoming discoloured or bent.
Tip #5: Keep a record of your Invisalign journey
As an Invisalign user, you should always record your journey. Doing so will help you plan and stay on track with the aligner replacement timeline provided by your dentist.
When it’s time for new replacement aligners, save the old ones in a safe place and make sure that you note down when exactly this occurred.
If any emergency arises, you can contact your doctor and know exactly which Invisalign trays you’re in when you provide them with adequate information from old aligners.
Keeping accurate records will ensure that your treatment is productive and meaningful!
Tip #6: Be diligent in your regular check-up visits with your dentist
Finally, regularly visiting your dentist throughout your Invisalign journey is important. Your dentist will monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments to ensure you get the best results possible from Invisalign.
These regular check-ups are a great time to ask questions about your clear aligners and any Invisalign tips.
Tip #7: Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see immediate changes
It can take some time for your teeth to adjust and for the effects of Invisalign to become visible. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see immediate changes –remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day! Stick with it, follow your dentist’s instructions, wear your trays as instructed, and soon enough, you’ll be flashing that perfect smile!
Tip #8: Post-treatment: What You Need To Know
Once your treatment is completed, you must wear a retainer for at least six months. That helps keep your teeth in their new position and prevents them from returning to their original positions.
Your dentist can provide a custom-made retainer that fits comfortably and securely, ensuring your smile stays perfect.
It would help if you remembered to brush and floss your teeth regularly and attend regular check-ups with your dentist.
If you’re looking to align your teeth, Invisalign is an ideal choice! With its ability to straighten teeth without brackets or wires. By following these tips, you can ensure you get the most out of your treatment and achieve the beautiful, straight smile you’ve always wanted.
At My Local Dentists, we understand that orthodontic treatment can be daunting. That is why we strive to make the experience as comfortable and stress-free for our patients as possible. Our skilled and experienced dentists across our five dental clinics, conveniently located all across Sydney, are committed to providing high-quality care and ensuring you get the best results from your treatment.
Book your consultation today at (02) 9000 1239.
Does Invisalign Work? Pros, Cons, Effectiveness | Healthline
Invisible Braces and Retainers for Straight Teeth | WebMD
Braces and orthodontics – NHS